Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Call in Gay Today!

On a day of protest, when many of us on Duke's campus are right in the teeth of exams, let's take a few minutes to "Call in Gay."

As many of you probably already know, today is "Call in Gay Day," a nationwide day of protest on which GLBTQAs across the country "called in gay" to work, instead pursuing community involvement and volunteer work in a show of solidarity. I know everyone's got exams going on - I have a final paper due today and a very scary final on Saturday, so I'll certainly be tending to my academic needs most of the day. But I did change my Facebook status... and as I was checking my news feeds for the morning, I found this: http://www.newsweek.com/id/172653/page/1

This link goes to Newsweek's most recent cover story. Take a few minutes to read it; the arguments for gay marriage that the author puts forth are very compelling. (I know, I know, no one needs to sell most of us on the right to marry, but it never hurts to know how to defend your views most eloquently, right?) Then pass on the link to family and friends you think ought to see it, if you're comfortable with that.

My mom really surprised me this morning by calling to ask what I had planned for "Call in Gay Day." If this story changes the mind of just one person today because I recommended that we pass it along, that's something, right?

1 comment:

  1. Props Charon! I have an exam today, but I too am using Facebook to forward the message/awareness of Day Without a Gay. Hopefully others will as well!

    ReplyDelete