Friday, December 5, 2008

"Adam"

I have always wanted someone to listen to me and hear about my life and problems.

This is an excerpt from my journal. I wrote it this October. The name of a person has been edited to "Adam" to protect his privacy.

I have always wanted someone to listen to me and hear about my life and problems. Yea I have my friends and this journal but something has always been missing. I needed someone who could relate to what I’m feeling and give me feedback and advice on a mutual level. I needed a gay friend who understood me. I sort of found that or at least had an experience similar to that with "Adam". I really wanted to talk to him after he approached me and came out. Initially I was scared to talk to him but then I realized that I would regret it if I didn’t do it. So I did and it was amazing. It was such an experience to just talk to someone and unload everything that has been on my mind and not have to worry about explaining something gay. "Adam" understood where I was coming from and it felt like a huge burden lifting off my shoulders. He and I are so similar that I felt validated as a human being. I wasn’t a weird person with weird thoughts and feelings; there was someone out there that was like me and he was a real person. "Adam" was the first person that I’ve had a gay conversation with and I don’t think that I will ever forget that.

No comments:

Post a Comment