Saturday, December 27, 2008

Discrimination and the City

So someone called my boyfriend and I "Fags" last night in NYC.

Last night, as we were walking from the cab to my boyfriend's apartment following a fun night out, some guy yelled at my boyfriend and I "why don't you get some girls." I just sort of stared blankly back at him from across the street wondering what his intentions were (and just because I was a little drunk) when he yelled "Fags" back at us. His girlfriend seemed to try and shut him up as I yelled back at him "So What?" Nothing happened after this, just his girlfriend pushing him further down the street away from us as we walked into the apartment building.

Just thought it was an interesting encounter (not all that out of the ordinary or anything) and wanted to share it with you all. Sometimes I feel so much more free to show affection towards my boyfriend in the City than at Duke, but encounters like this show that discrimination is prevalent anywhere and at any time (even at 4:30 in the morning). At least when I am at Duke and something like that happens I feel physically safe, but, depending on where I am in the city and how close I am to the apartment, that is not so much the case in the City.

I hope everyone is enjoying their break and is looking forward to getting back to Duke in a couple week.

"michael"

2 comments:

  1. I think some drunk idiot is the least of our worries. How about Obama and his gay-hating friends?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOPS, Anonymous. You are so much missing the point. Drunk Idiot Boyfriend IS Rick Warren. There are so many Rick Warrens everywhere all the time.

    ReplyDelete